2018 OAA Annual Meeting
October 25 - October 26
Oklahoma Archivists Association Annual Meeting
October 25-26, 2018
Gilcrease Museum: https://gilcrease.org/
1400 N. Gilcrease Rd. Tulsa, Oklahoma
$25 OAA members/$35 non-OAA members
(want to become a member? https://okarchivists.com/membership-payment/)
Thursday October 25, 2018 —- The Helmerich Center for American Research (FREE TO REGISTERED ATTENDEES)
1:30 – 4:30 PM SAA WEBINARS
Join your fellow archivists for an afternoon of Society of American Archivist (SAA), offered webcasts. The cost of the webcast is sponsored by the Oklahoma Historic Records Administration (OHRAB). Both courses can go towards a Digital Archives Specialist certification and Metadata Overview for Archivist can go towards an Arrangement and Description Certification. If you are planning on taking an exam after participating in this webinar viewing, you can do so within 60 days of viewing the webcast, and will be responsible for the additional exam cost.
- 1:30- 3:00 pm:Metadata Overview for Archivists, (A&D, DAS, Foundational) 90 minutesWhat is metadata? Where does it come from? What does it look like? How do you choose the right schema? In this class, you’ll learn about the basics of descriptive, technical, structural, and administrative metadata. You’ll also see how metadata supports access and preservation in archives.
- 3:30 – 4:30 pm:Digital Records—The Next Step, (DAS, Tactical & Strategic) 60 minutes “Do you have a basic understanding of digital records, but need an extra push to begin addressing the issue? This course is focused on systems that any archives must put in place to ensure it can manage digital records, and it will cover how to prepare for and address a still uncertain future concerning the management of digital records.”
Friday, October 26th, 2018 — Meeting Rooms next to Vista Room ($25 members/$35 non-members)
9am – 3pm – OAA annual meeting
- 9:00 – 10:00 am Local Case Studies
- Find out what exciting things your archival colleagues have been doing lately in 5-10 minute lightning rounds highlighting recent initiatives of OK repositories.
- 10:15 – 11:30 am Keynote: Mary Molinaro and Emily Gore, Digital Preservation Network
- Digital Preservation can be a daunting concept to tackle, no matter the size of your archival organization, but that doesn’t mean you can’t implement scalable solutions towards long term preservation of your archival digital objects. Mary Molinaro and Emily Gore (Digital Preservation Network) will provide a glimpse into the state of the field of Digital Preservation in the U.S. and provide an overview into how archival organizations are tackling their digital collections long term care with an eye for how you can get started on moving forward in your own digital preservation plan.
- 11:30 – 1:00 pm Lunch on your own
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm: Want to find out more about joining the leadership of OAA? Join OAA executive officers in the cafeteria at the Gilcrease for an informal discussion
- 1:00 – 1:20 pm OAA Business Meeting
- OAA members (present or future) join the OAA executive board for a short business meeting to report on the organizations first year in action, provide suggestions for what you would like to see in year two, and learn more about getting involved.
- 1:30 – 2:45 pm Hands-on activity – Digital Preservation tools
- Mary Molinaro and Emily Gore (DPN) will provide a hands-on workshop for simple open access digital preservation tools that can be implemented into your larger DP toolkit.
3:00 – 3:45 pm Optional tour of the Dylan Archives,The Helmerich Center for American Research at Gilcrease Museum https://bobdylanarchive.com/
4:00 – 4:45 pm – Woody Guthrie Center Archives, 102 East M.B. Brady St. Tulsa, OK 74103 (5 minute drive from Gilcrease Museum) http://woodyguthriecenter.org/
5:15 – meet up/mixer/social (TBD)